Achnacarry Castle is the ancestral home of the Chiefs of Clan Cameron, located at Achnacarry, about 15 mi northeast of Fort William, Scotland near the foot of Loch Arkaig.
Built by Clan Keith Ackergill Tower (or Ackergill Castle) is located north of Wick, Caithness. It was built in the early 16th century.
Ardtornish Castle, late 13th century Ruined stump of one of the principal residences of the Lords of the Isles, heirs of Somerled, who controlled the Western Seaboard until the late 15th century.
Ardvreck Castle is a ruined castle dating from the 16th century which stands on a rocky promontory jutting out into Loch Assynt in Sutherland.
Now a ruined mansion house in Armadale on the Isle of Skye, it was first built circa 1790. It was a former stronghold for the MacDonalds on Skye, but was built more for style, rather than defence. It was abandoned by the MacDonalds in 1925, and the mansion subsequently fell into a state of disrepair. However, the surrounding gardens have continued to be looked after.
Ballone Castle, near Portmahomack, was originally built by the Earls of Ross in the 1500s, before passing to the Viscount Tarbat and the Earl of Cromartie. The castle was eventually abandoned, becoming ruinous, and staying that way for a number of centuries. In the 1990s it was purchased and renovated, and is now a private residence.
Balnagown Castle, near Kildary in Easter Ross, was the former seat of the Chiefs of Clan Ross. The current castle was built during the 18th and 19th centuries, however, there has been a castle on the site since the 1300s. From the early 1940s through to 1972, the castle was unoccupied and became run-down, before being bought and renovated by Egyptian businessman Mohamed Al-Fayed.
Beaufort Castle, also known as Castle Dounie, is a mansion in the Scots Baronial style, built in 1880, and was the historic seat of the Fraser Lord Lovats. The earliest mention of the site was in the early 12th century, with the castle having been built by the Byset (Bisset) family. By the end of the 13th century it had passed to Clan Fraser. The estate remained in Fraser hands for over 600 years, and was sold off by Simon Fraser, 15th Lord Lovat, in 1994.
Borve Castle is situated near the hamlet of Farr in Sutherland, and was a stronghold for Clan MacKay. The castle was destroyed in 1554 by order of Mary of Guise, the Queen Regent, after the MacKays failed to appear before her.
Braal Castle (originally known as Castle of Brathwell), is located near Halkirk in Caithness. The castle, now ruined, was first built in the mid-1300s, though it is believed that the site was occupied as early as the 11th century by Harold II of Orkney, Mormaer of Caithness. The Earls of Caithness were in control of the castle from the 14th century until it passed to the Sinclairs of Ulbster in the 18th century.
Brahan Castle, near Dingwall, was built in 1611 by the MacKenzies of Seaforth, who were the prominent clan in the area. The estate was the place of work for Kenneth MacKenzie, an alleged prophet, who was known as the 'Brahan Seer'. The MacKenzies were supporters of the Jacobite risings that occurred during the first half of the 18th century. Over the next couple of centuries, the castle passed between different MacKenzie lines before eventually being left to a Trust after the Baron Seaforth died in 1923 without issue. The castle became dilapidated, and was eventually demolished in the 1950s.
Located just west of Thurso in Caithness, Brims Castles was built during the 1500s, but now sits in ruin. The castle belonged to the Sinclairs, and passed through various lines of the family, before eventually being abandoned by the Sinclairs. The castle is said to be haunted by a 'White Lady', who was allegedly murdered by Patrick Sinclair of Brims, and hid her body within the castle walls.
Now a ruin, Caisteal Maol is located near the village of Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye. The remains are from a fortress built sometime in the 15th century, however, it is believed that there was an earlier stronghold in the same place. The castle was once the seat of Clan MacKinnon, with the land coming into the family in 900 via marriage to a Norwegian princess. The MacKinnons left the castle around the beginning of the 17th century, with Neill MacKinnon, nephew of the 26th clan chief, being the last occupant.
Carbisdale is a relatively new castle, having been built for the Duchess of Sutherland between 1905 and 1917, however, she died before it was completed. In 1933 the castle was bought by Scottish businessman Theodore Salvesen (whose parents were Norwegian), and he hosted King Haakon VII of Norway during the Nazi occupation of Norway during the Second World War. The castle was inherited by Harold Salvesen after Theodore's death in 1942. In 1945 Harold gave the whole Carbisdale estate to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association.
Castle Chanonry of Ross
Also known as Seaforth Castle, Castle Chanonry of Ross was built between 1497 and 1507, however, nothing of the castle remains. The castle was besieged between 1569 and 1573 during the Marian civil war, as well as part of a feud between Clans Munro and MacKenzie. The siege ended with the peaceful passing of the castle from the Munros to the MacKenzies as per the Act of Pacification. The castle mostly remained in MacKenzie possession for the next couple of centuries. Sometime during the Jacobite uprisings of the 1700s, the castle was reduced to rubble, though it is not known for sure which side was responsible.
Castle of Mey
Located in the far north of the Scottish mainland, Castle of Mey (also known as Barrogill Castle) was built by George Sinclair, 4th Earl of Caithness between 1566 and 1572. It is believed that the Castle was built on the site of a previous fortification. At some point the castle was renamed Barrogill Castle, and it underwent and number of alterations and extensions between the 17th and 19th centuries. In 1952, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, bought Barrogill, which was in a semi-ruinous state, and had many parts of the castle restored, including its name back to Castle of Mey. The castle was used as a holiday residence by the Queen Mother until her death in 2002.
Cawdor Castle was first built in the 15th century, with the earliest record dating from 1454, when William Calder was granted a right to fortify his stronghold. The castle passed to the Campbells via marriage in the early 16th century, and has remained with them ever since. The castle has had many expansions over the centuries, making it the castle that it is today.