The name comes from Caithness, its original form being ‘Caldell’.
Hugh de Cadella was a French Knight created Thane of Calder, now known as Cawdor, in Nairn.
Hugh de Kaledouer witnessed a charter by William the Lion at Montrose between 1178 and 1198, and also the gift of a toft in Forfar to Willelmus de Haia by the same king.
In the same reign he granted forty acres in Buthyrgasc to the Abbey of Scone and witnessed a charter by Swan filius Thori.
In 1419 Donald of Calder, lord of that Ilk acquired half of Dunmaglas from William Meignes.
Farchardus de Caldor was prebendarius de Crechmont in 1461, and John Calder was Bute Persuivant in 1589.
In 1686 the Calders of Asswanly received a baronetcy of Nova Scotia.