The name can also be found as Binnie and Binney, and originates in the parish of Uphall, West Lothian, where the Barony of Binning was located.
William de Binnin who was prior of Newbattle was promoted to Crail in 1243.
John de Bynning was infeoffed in some lands in Edinburgh which had been forfeited by John Slingisbie in the reign of David II.
Friar John Benyng was governor of the lands and posessions of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem at Torphichen in 1388.
Symon de Bynninge who was bailie of Aberdeen (1396 – 98) is probably the same Symon Benyn selected to be one of the company accompanying the provost of Aberdeen to the battle of Harlaw in 1411.
John de Benyne was a canon regular of Cambuskenneth Abbey in 1403. William de Benning is recorded as owning a tenement in Edinburgh between 1414 and 1426.
Richard Benyne was the burgess of Perth in 1458 and 1463, and Thomas Benyng was burgess of Aberdeen in 1468
Alexander Bynne had a croft in Aberdeen around 1550 and Sir Robert Bynne was ‘cheplane and singer in the quier’ there in 1555.
John Binnie was heir to Elizabeth Binnie (1574) and James Binnie in Brigend, parish of Morrowingside, (1636) and eight more of the name are recorded in the neighbourhood.
John Binnie was a prisoner in the Tolbooth of Edinburgh in 1681 and John Binnie of Byrs was heir in lands of Drumcross in 1698.
The name was particularly common in Edinburgh in the 17th century.